Tuesday 7 August 2012

Full Circle

On my last day in Kosele for this visit it seems appropriate that we were battered by a downpour again. Starting and finishing my trip with a major cloudburst seems to bring it round full circle. When the rain came I was in a meeting with Madam Nyangwe, our head teacher and Mr Isaiah, who heads up our agriculture college. Madam Nyangwe expressed her surprise, as the raindrops battered the roof of her office, sounding like rapid fire from a machine gun. “I thought the rains were over!” I think we all did. We have, thankfully, had very little rain while we have been drying our maize crop. Nothing, it seems, is predictable about the weather at the moment. This will create a challenge for us as we gear up for the next planting season at the beginning of September. The other side effect of the rain is the frog’s chorus, (follow the link below if you want to relive that particular musical moment). The frogs seem to be working in short, sharp co-ordinated bursts tonight. I wonder what switches them on and off.
This visit to Kosele has been very productive. On a daily basis I sometimes feel like the work becomes bogged down, kind of trapped in ‘African time’. Overall though I am happy with the performance of our two new teams, managing the children’s home and school respectively. As previously reported the church has just enjoyed a very successful week-end. As the summer holiday starts to unfold for the children, (the ‘candidates having finished their mock exam today), I think everybody is looking forward to a bit of down time. I’ll be traveling to Kisumu tomorrow and flying home from Nairobi on Thursday. It will be good to be back with my wife Judi again as she continues her treatment for breast cancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment