Wednesday 15 October 2014

Me 1 Stuff 0

Following on from yesterday's post, today started with a tough fight against the lure of a new tablet computer. The psychology of our addiction to stuff is very complex. By about 9.30 this morning I had just about convinced myself that it would be a great idea to buy the new Tesco hudl 2. I'm sure many of you will be familiar with the thought process. It doesn't take long to get to the point where your life will be incomplete and infinitely more difficult if you don't buy your current object of desire. The sure sign that you have been completely sucked in and sold on the purchase is the well rehearsed list of benefits that you present to your nearest and dearest before rushing out of the house in a contradictory fit of guilt and anticipation of sealing the deal.

I had to go to the store this morning anyway so, sucked in by the in-store display, I tried out a hudl 2, picked a colour and then ......... something deep in my subconscious stirred and I managed to resist the temptation. It was a crucial moment. I walked out of the store with my shopping and without a new tablet computer.  I think I am now cured. I guess the next trip to Tesco will prove it one way or another.

Judi and I are off to London tonight. The car is laden with stuff from our son Tom's room which we are taking down for him. It's going to live in his place now. As we continue to prepare our own house for renting each car full of stuff that leaves the premises feels like a small victory. I think it's going to be a long campaign!

No comments:

Post a Comment