Saturday 22 October 2011

Necessity ...... Mother ..... Invention

Today has been a day of small triumphs against a lifelong history of DIY incompetence. Back in the UK I am not really a keen DIYer for all the usual reasons – lack of time, pressure of work, fear of failure and, if I’m really honest, lack of interest and basic ineptitude in most things DIY. (I am, however, a very good man B and work quite well under supervision). A case of “if it’s not very, very broke don’t fix it”.

The light in the front bedroom in the small boys’ dormitory has needed fixing for some time, (apparently), so I decided that today would be the day to fix it. I don’t really have drawers to keep things in so haven’t got a ‘man drawer’.

(Google man drawer or follow this link www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4xxqVzlSeE)

I have, however, got a really good multi-gadget thing with all the necessary blades, screwdrivers and pliers to carry out emergency DIY in Africa.

I don’t know what happens to me when I get to Kenya. I suddenly become a lot more practical than I usually am in England and relish the challenge of making things work. The fact that other people have tried to fix the problem before me and made it worse is also an incentive but I do, honestly, enjoy the whole maintenance thing out here. So … on to the small boys’ dorm, armed with multi-gadget handy tool, (budget price version), a Swiss army knife, (insurance policy) and bags of, almost certainly misplaced, confidence.

The wiring in the small boys’ dorm is a bit of a cat’s cradle affair. All of our electricity now comes from solar power as part of our continuing attempts at sustainability. When we first lived in Kosele we ran the electricity on our compound from a generator. This means that there are actually two wiring systems in all of the houses that now have solar power – (including the small boys’ dorm). The wiring system in the small boys’ dorm seems to have become a bit of a hybrid, so it’s difficult to see exactly how the lights are connected. I spent some time going from room to room trying to figure it out. This proved a bit fruitless so I got started on dismantling the light bulb holder, (which had rotted and cracked under the heat and the pressure of hanging in a room full of smallish boys). Access to the bulb holder was slightly tricky and involved balancing on a rickety three legged ladder, and one of the bunk beds in the dorm. Balanced this way and working above my head I realised that the multi-gadget handy tool screwdriver weighed more than I had thought it would and wasn’t really very easy to manipulate. The Swiss army knife was lighter but the screwdriver blade that was the right width doubles up as a bottle opener so was a bit fat to locate on the screws in the bulb holder.
So I went in search of a small screwdriver and eventually found one hiding in an old toolbox in the stores. (Surprisingly good quality from the UK with multiple pieces stored in the handle for different types of screw – not Chinese as most tools out here are).

Armed with the right tool I made quick work of the bulb holder, then realised that it was very, very broke and needed fixing back a level in the set up. Eventually I had the whole thing dismantled and was in a position to work out which wire actually worked the light, (there were two and a half sets of red, black and green/yellow wires to choose from). It took a few minutes to work out that the whole system wasn’t switched on at the master switch in the girls’ dormitory. Once this problem was solved I was feeling quite pleased with myself and tried to remember all the things my Dad, (who is very good at DIY), had told me about working with wires and electricity. I soon had a test rig made up of the new bulb holder and new bulb and only got a few shocks as I conducted my process of elimination on the wires. This accomplished all that remained was to fix up the cable to the new light switch, re-attach the bulb holder and job done. Thing were going well. Or so I thought.

I hadn’t realised that the wiring the other side of the switch was part of the hybrid system so spent a bit more time disentangling and dismantling it. I eventually had a light switch, light bulb, cabling and light bulb holder in place ready for the moment of truth. Switch on and … nothing. Further investigation showed me how to wire the switch up properly and the light obligingly turned on. So I tidied up all the bits of wire that my, now blunter, pliers on the multi-gadget thing had stripped off and patted myself on the back. The switch, to be totally honest, will need to have a proper mounting made for it but it is secured onto the wall and works. Or so I thought.

The light in one of the girls’ dormitory bedrooms needed a new bulb, which turned into replacing the light bulb holder – a job I was now accomplished at. It took hardly any time at all. Wires properly stripped, twisted to right length and secure etc. Not anticipating any problems with switching on the light this time I went for the moment of truth and…. no light. A flash of inspiration, (God?), traced the problem back to the recently re-wired light switch in the small boys’ dorm – which is now a kind of master switch for all of the girls’ dorm and all but one room in the small boys’ dorm. (I did start off by saying they were small triumphs – not out and out victory).

At least we can make sure that the lights are out at the same time now!

It was all good experience – next week I think I’ll just have to rewire both dorms!

I think that Duncan has managed to drown and poison the stalk borers. We will investigate tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment