Tuesday 14 May 2013

Ghost in the machine

Sorry – another dodgy music plug. (When this Police album came out I was actually working at one of the record pressing plants that they produce the CDs in, pumping water out of a big hole in their grounds). Link is below. The album title wasn't actually a track but this is a great song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

Anyway. The reason for the link is the predictable glitch that hit one of the laptops that I have been blogging about over the last few days. I'm pleased to say that my lessons went well today. I made a conscious effort to slow down my talking and the teachers who witnessed me in action thought that it went OK. It was great to be teaching well motivated students. During the the ICT lesson all the students managed the activities that I'd set up and the laptops stayed powered up. So far so good.

After school I did some ICT training with the High School teachers. There are five of them and five laptops so I was optimistic that we had the makings of a good session. Unfortunately one of the computers decided to go into 'can't start' mode and an on screen message reported that it was fixing problems which might take some time. It did – about two hours. Once it finally reached a screen that suggested it might start up there was an error report saying that a camera or similar device had been attached to the computer recently which had caused the problem. There hadn't. I was even more puzzled when I found that all of the users that I had set up on the machine had vanished and that the computer had been reset to a previous life! Most bizarre but, I guess, ultimately predictable. The laptop is now out of the critical care unti and running normally. Until the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment