Sunday 12 February 2012

Distant thunder

Today got off to an exciting start. We have been hoping to buy a new vehicle for some time now, (see yesterday’s post about the sorry state of our Landrover). Just before I left Kenya at the beginning of December last year our friend Douglas, (who arranges our longer distance transport), told me that he had a contact who wanted to sell a Landrover. I finally got to see it this morning and zoomed off up the 'road' to test drive it to Kosele and back. (Not a great distance but far enough to work out whether it’s worth going any further with buying it).

As test drives go it was very successful. The major problems with our current Landrover are; lack of engine power and acceleration, (especially in fourth gear), bone crunching suspension and somewhat sloppy steering. Once you get used to these inconveniences it’s not a bad vehicle. It has done us proud over the last ten years. That said, driving a newer, diesel model, that suffers from none of these deficiencies was amazing. In ‘older and wiser’ mode these days I was able to resist the temptation to rush out and get the cash to pay the vendor on the spot and have arranged to take it on a longer test drive to Kisumu on Tuesday. Once in Kisumu I’ve booked an inspection by a garage that I trust, (shameless plug here for Silverline Services in Kisumu – great garage, great people!). Once Silverline have given it the once over I’ll be in a better position to make a decision about what is, after all, a major investment. The feckless impulse buyer in me is still pushing for the green light.

Have just, (9:03 pm), rushed outside in great excitement. It wasn’t very much, (at first I thought I was hearing things), but ……………… it has just rained! Given the current state of the weather in the UK I can appreciate that this is hardly earth shattering news but it will, I am sure, be greeted with cautious optimism here in Kosele. The rains are the key to our next harvest. We need to be in a position to plant seeds by the first week in March at the latest. This means we need some steady, (but not torrential), rain the week before. There has been a noticeable increase in cloud cover in the last couple of afternoons and the breeze that usually precedes rain has picked up. (I’m not making this stuff up – you really can tell when it’s going to rain). I’m sure I just heard the first, distant roll of thunder as well. Bring it on!

Its half term next week so we will be busy with our land preparation. It could be a very exciting week – new vehicle and a change in the weather. I’ll be busy praying for both.

No comments:

Post a Comment