Monday 4 February 2013

Early Night

I've been meaning to have an early night for days but somehow never seem to get round to it. For a few days last week the rain made it difficult to get to sleep. We have had the more normal hot weather for the last couple of days which has been a great relief to all. Over the weekend there was a major funeral celebration which involved a bizarre combination of all night disco and gospel singing on Friday and Saturday topped off by what sounded like a series of sermons on Sunday. If it was anything like a fairly large funeral Judi and I attended a few years ago there were also quite a few speeches and public announcements from the local Chief and possibly his assistant. I guess it makes sense. It was pretty much a whole community affair which sets up a convenient captive audience.

Anyway. Apart from appreciating the catch up on sleep I want to be at the top of my game tomorrow for the Head teachers’ meeting that I’m going to. The District Education Officer is responsible for calling this meeting so I’m guessing it will be well attended. I’m really looking forward to meeting the local heads. I haven’t attended one of these meetings before.

Apart from ensuring the white shirt is well ironed and that the tie goes with it I’m a little nervous about etiquette at the meeting. I’m sure I will be the only white person in attendance. In the past this has often led to having to make a speech of some sort. Apart from standing out in the crowd I am also wondering whether there will be any food or drink issues. The meeting is supposed to start at 10.00 a.m. I’m hoping the DEO will be strict on time. Either way the meeting is sure to go across lunch time. Deciding what to eat, should lunch be served, could be interesting. I’m not unadventurous about trying new food but do tend to be cautious when eating away from our place. You never know who has cooked the food or where the water came from. In the past I've tried to follow the crowd in this area and asked for very small portions. On a positive note sodas were served at the last proper official meeting I attended. I've managed to avoid drinking sodas (Coke and Fanta) this visit but I wouldn't say no the ‘the real thing’ if offered. 

No comments:

Post a Comment