Saturday 2 February 2013

Pruning

Yesterday I reported on a discussion I never imagined I would have. Today I spent some time pruning which, as my wife Judi would tell you, is somewhat uncharacteristic behaviour. I have, in previous blogs, reported on various DIY tasks which I've done over her (especially electrical repairs). Back in the UK DIY doesn't usually figure very highly on my radar, partly because I’m not very good at it and partly because I always find other things to be busy with. Over here in Kenya I find myself driven to these tasks through the necessity and mother of invention route.

Outside the house I live in over here there is a large water container which collects rain from the roof. When we first started our work in Kosele being able to collect water in this way was essential as we did not have a bore hole. Nowadays the water is used for washing clothes. Next to the water container there is a rose bush. The roses, being from Kenya, are as you would expect, very nice. Unfortunately it hasn't been very well tended over the last few months. Consequently new shoots from the bush have grown over the top of the water container making it very difficult to get at the water. I spotted this a few days and thought, as no-one else seemed to be bothered about it, that I would take the matter in hand. So, armed at first with a pair of scissors, I made a start on pruning the rose bush this morning. As usual my initial choice of tools was not really up to the job so I ended up resorting to the trusty multi-tool penknife that I have (star of some of my most ambitious electrical repairs) and set to properly.

There seemed to be a lot of shoots to prune once I got going. I’m not sure if it’s just the kind of job you inevitably get carried away with or not. It certainly seemed to be the case that the more I snipped away the more there was to snip. It soon became apparent that some of the older branches on the bush needed to be removed as well. It’s amazing how effective the little saw on a multi-tool can be! The really worrying thing about this burst of activity was that it was quite enjoyable. I am now very worried that I might become a ‘potterer’ as I get older.

This anxiety has been compounded by the pleasure I got from my follow on pruning activity. At the other end of the house, outside one of the bedrooms, there is a nice green bush. The leaves are a lovely dark green colour and it creates a bit of privacy. As bushes do it has grown a bit unevenly, with new shoots sprouting out at the top, creating the impression of a very bad haircut. Buoyed by my success with the rose bush I thought I would try my hand at improving the appearance of the bush. The scissors proved the most effective tool in this case. As I snipped away I began to think that the rose bush had been an easier job. It had definitely needed a fairly dramatic pruning. Adopting the same approach to the green bush would, I thought, create a real eyesore. So I snipped carefully. The precision of my snipping wasn't really helped by the African bees which buzzed round my head. These bees are huge and very noisy. They live in holes which they drill in the wooden eaves of the house. Unlike our goat (see previous blog) I think these bees were being quite active in some kind of courtship ritual. Fortunately they left me alone as long as I ignored them.

As my pile of clippings from the bush grew bigger I began to think about “The Constant Gardener”. A very good film about medical drug trials in Kenya. It made me wonder if there is something about Kenya that turns middle aged men to the eccentricities of gardening. I was conscious of fitting a stereotype which I have found comical in the past. I am a bit concerned that I don’t really care. The bush looks quite good now, if I say so myself.

My new found enthusiasm for this type of gardening has plenty of scope for future indulgence. Just beyond the house is a small area of ground which has been planted with hedges fairly recently. The hedges have been laid out to form the letters H & K. I couldn't help noticing the letters seem to lack a bit of definition at the moment. I wonder if our local hardware shop sells secateurs.

No comments:

Post a Comment