Monday 16 July 2012

Hoping Jesus comes soon

As I am focusing on our school and management during this visit I haven’t really got out into our community very much. I made a rare foray outside the gates today to see our elderly neighbour who isn’t very well. His wife came round to say that he wanted me to pray with him. I took James, one of our security guards, with me so that he could translate and went to see what the problem was. Our neighbour must be one of the oldest members of the community. Every time I come back to Kosele I am pleasantly surprised to see him. He has looked like he won’t last the night on a number of occasions but so far he has always managed to come round and live for another day. Today he didn’t look too good. He seemed very tired. James and I sat down to have a chat with him and to pray for his health. It’s always hard to know what to pray for in these situations. There is a tendency to pray for miraculous healings as a demonstration of God’s power. I felt it more appropriate to pray that our neighbour would find relief from his suffering.

A few years ago we conducted a survey amongst our church members to find out more about their hopes and plans for the future. The community around Kosele is really very poor. Mostly subsistence farmers eking out a living and waging a constant battle with the climate. One of the elder church members wrote a sentence that I found both moving and challenging. In response to a question about his main desires for the future he wrote “I hope Jesus comes soon”. It is very difficult, as an affluent Westerner, to fully comprehend such an approach to living. It is a very different take on being a Christian to my own, reflecting our vastly differing experiences and life chances.

I don’t know whether our neighbour has the same wish. I could understand it if he did. All of his sons have died and he and his wife have buried grand children and great-grand children. In the ten years since we first came to Kosele he has become much frailer. He finds it hard to raise himself above a sitting position and looks like he would topple over face first if he tried to walk. He is a very dignified man and you can still, occasionally, see a twinkle in his eye when he tells you about his past exploits. I hope he has a comfortable and peaceful night tonight. I hope that his health takes a turn for the better. It’s kind of reassuring seeing him every time I am in Kenya. On the other hand if he really is ready to meet his maker, after a long, hard life, I hope that he enjoys a peaceful end. Like I said, sometimes it’s really hard to know what to pray for.

1 comment:

  1. "I hope Jesus comes soon” seems a rather fine hope; "Christ Jesus our Hope".

    ReplyDelete