Saturday 21 July 2012

Kindle

As ever, slightly behind the people making the pace at the forefront of technology, I have made another game changing discovery in the information and ideas hoarding stakes. I have probably said before that I am something of a hoarder of sources of information. Computers made it possible for me to accumulate vast numbers of books without making our house a candidate for a reality show about hoarding. The Kindle takes the whole concept to another level. I bought one about a year ago to make it possible to take my ‘library’ out to Kenya on a portable device that satisfies our ‘Apollo 13’ approach to saving electricity. (For those of you who wonder what this involves watch the movie).

One of the frustrations of the Kindle is that it’s difficult to take notes from it straight onto a computer. My current projects over here involve a lot of training so it would be helpful to be able to cut out the middleman, (a notebook), and take useful texts from source into my word processor. I remember reading at some point about using the Kindle on a laptop and have managed to install it on my laptop over here. I usually find downloading and installing software from the Internet very tedious but on this particular occasion it really ‘did what it said on the label’ and installed without any fuss. I now have the luxury of a vast amount of training material at the click of a mouse. The computer nerd in me has had a happy day. Hopefully the trainer in me will be able to say the same throughout next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment